Programs & Events
Recreational Gymnastics & Trampoline
Our recreation programs are designed to be fun, yet challenging. Basic gymnastics skills are taught on all apparatus providing a strong base of functional movements that enhances balance, coordination, strength, and flexibility. Classes begin with a group warm-up and stretch, followed by structured time on each apparatus depending on the program.
Gymnastics teaches the fundamental movement and sports skills that are at the core of every other sport activity.
JUNGLE GYM is a class structured to encourage caregiver/child interaction in a gymnastics environment. Caregivers aid the child by providing spotting assistance and helping to keep your little one focused under the careful guidance of a certified coach. Classes are designed to assist with your child's social and cognitive development as well as developing gross motor skills in a safe, fun and encouraging environment through age-appropriate gymnastics skills. Circuits and gymnastics apparatus are used to promote exploration while teaching skills such as swinging, jumping and climbing. These skills begin the process of body awareness and physical development. This program is often run through the Ponoka Parent Link Center. *** Please contact the Ponoka Gymnastics & Trampoline Club office for class availability ***
Our KINDER GYM class provides just the right amount of structure to teach children to listen and follow directions while maintaining an environment promoting the fun, fitness and fundamentals of gymnastics. Your child will experience a consistent class routine where they will be introduced to a variety of age-appropriate gymnastics skills. Children will progress at their own pace while being constantly challenged by our qualified coaching staff. As children at this age are ready to participate in classes without their parents they will experience the joy of independence providing the stepping-stone into our Recreational Program. The foundation for future gymnastics learning is laid in this co-ed program.
- JUNGLE GYM: 45 minute class for ages 2 – 3½ years with a caregiver
- KINDER GYM: 1 hour class for 3 – 5 years old without a caregiver. Children must be able to use the toilet independently.
This Developmental Junior Olympic Program consists of the first 3 levels of the 10 level program used in the USA. It was developed with the belief that all athletes, regardless of their potential, must have a solid foundation of basic skills in order to advance safely. In this Developmental group athletes work on foundation skills for higher level gymnastics. They will learn compulsory routines on each apparatus working towards competition. This is a Non-badge program. Participants should complete one session of KINDER GYM or CANGYM Juniors before registering in this program.
- JUNIOR OLYMPIC 1: 1¼ hour classses, twice per week for ages 4 – 7 years. 28‑week program.
Canada's National Skill Development Program that introduces children to the basic acquisition and preparation of introductory skills for recreational gymnastics. There are 12 color-badge levels with 20 progressive skills in each level. Through organized skill based circuits on each apparatus; Floor, Vault, Bars, and Beam, your child has the opportunity to learn and master skills at their own pace. In order to complete a badge, the gymnast must be able to perform each skill required for that level three times consecutively, correctly and consistently. Evaluation takes place constantly throughout the session to keep children challenged but not stressed.
- CANGYM JUNIORS: 1 hour class for ages 6 – 8 years working on badges 1 – 4 (Burgundy, Red, Tan & Bronze)
- CANGYM: 1½ hour class for ages 8 – 11 working on badges 1 – 3 (Burgundy, Red & Tan)
- CANGYM II: Same as CANGYM but with 2 classes per week
- ADVANCED CANGYM: 2 hour class for those 7 years and older working on badges 4 or higher (Bronze badge or higher)
- BOYS ONLY: 1¼ hour class for ages 6 years + using men's equipment: vault, mushroom/pommel horse, floor, rings, parallel bars and single rail.
- TEEN GYM: 2 hour class for those in grade 7+ or age 12+. Athletes may choose to continue working on badges or just work to attain personal goals.
- HOMESCHOOL GYM: 1½ hour class during the day just for homeschoolers age 6 and up working on CANGYM badges
The Play Factory CANJUMP Program is an innovative program dedicated to teaching trampoline and tumbling to children in a fun, challenging, and rewarding atmosphere. This sport uses 3 apparatus: Trampoline, Double mini-tramp (DMT) and Floor (Tumbling). The program consists of 12 steps for each apparatus with approximately 12 skills or skill combinations per step. Participants acquire skills at their own rate with instructors continuously acknowledging individual skill acquisition. There is no pass or fail as learners continue to progress individually on each apparatus. This program is supported by Gymnastics Canada and the Alberta Gymnastics Federation.
- TRAMPOLINE & TUMBLING: 1¼ hour class for ages 6 – 9 working on beginning skills in the CANJUMP Program.
- ADVANCED TRAMPOLINE & TUMBLING: 1¼ hour class for ages 8 and up working on Step 3 or above in the CANJUMP Program and for those older beginners just starting in the program.